The Cult of Melinda

The gAyTM is closed! No gay rights, no gay $$$!

Saturday, May 09, 2009

So, What's Up With Me?

I haven't said much about myself lately, so here goes.

I got my victory present from Stacey, which to be honest, was a bit disappointing. Now, don't get me wrong. A Blockbuster gift card is awesome, considering how many movies I rent. But I had forgotten all about it. So, when I opened my mail yesterday and saw an envelope from Stacey, I thought it was new Ace pictures for my cubicle as a gift for my recent birthday. I was very excited. Ace pictures would have been waaaaaaaay better than a gift card. HINT...

I haven't been back to the doctor's yet for the B12 thing. I've been so swamped at work, with no back-up if I take off, so I've been putting it off. I think it's time. The pain and exhaustion aren't going away as much as they should, so I guess I'll be doing the injections.

Work sucks, as usual. My coworkers keep asking me why I'm there considering how "brilliant" and "extremely talented" I am, their words. Yes, I know my job isn't good enough for me. My family reminds me of that often enough. But people don't realize how hard it would be to take a job in my chosen profession with this kind of disability, especially since the benefits (including health insurance) wouldn't be as good as the government provides. Of course, my pay would probably be better and I'd get more than a condescending pat on the head when I pull off a miracle of epic proportions, which I'm called upon to do regularly in my current job. I keep telling these people that not all Jews walk on water.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a way out, which isn't easy in the current job market. I'm not the only one, either. A lot of people are looking to get out as soon as possible. Morale is in the toilet as I'm sure you can imagine. It's only going to get worse. Management is studying the matter, trying to modify the personnel system to reward skill and accomplishment so that we attract more qualified people and can retain the ones we have. This "study" alone is supposed to take two years. From the scuttlebutt, they don't have two years before some of the best employees go running for the hills.

Yes, I know I shouldn't be talking about my job, but they know this stuff already. I haven't made a secret of the fact that I'm overqualified, overworked and underpaid. They haven't either. Apparently, I'm a great bargain. Yes, someone actually had the nerve to tell me that they're protecting my job because they get more/better work out of me for less money than they pay their screw-up friends. Another one had the nerve to tell me that "merit isn't the standard" around there. Yes, you really want to admit that you're not judging your employees based on their merits (as if the whole world doesn't already know that merit isn't even A standard around there).

Other than work, life is pretty boring. It's just errands and bills and household maintenance. Then, TV, movies and the internet. The Sick doesn't exactly allow me the energy to do what I want to do after I'm finished doing what I have to do. But, there are hot Spanish lesbians on TV, so I'm good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home