The Cult of Melinda

The gAyTM is closed! No gay rights, no gay $$$!

Monday, September 24, 2007

The Jew Is Not Amused...

G-d is so weird sometimes.

We manage to finally have cool weather here in Northern Virginia UNTIL the day when the Jews, yours truly included, have to fast without food and water for 24 hours. Then, we get hot, sticky weather. That makes fasting so much easier... NOT! So, you can guess I was feeling majorly sorry for myself.

Picture it. I'm standing at the bus stop at 9 a.m. on my way to Yom Kippur morning services. I'd set my food drive bags down at my feet, because they were just too darned heavy in my weakened state. It's HOTTER than a witch's crotch out there and I'm pouring sweat. So, I'm mentally grumbling to myself about how much fasting sucks when I look up and a woman across the street catches my eye. She was skeletal, to say the least.

I remembered then why we fast, to reflect on those who are hungry and thirsty against their will, those who cannot merely choose to eat or not eat. I didn't know if that woman was so thin because of eating disorder or illness or poverty. It didn't matter. It doesn't matter. Whichever one it is, she couldn't have chosen (as I could) to just go home and eat. It is a blessing to be able to voluntarily fast, because it means that I have food and water every other day of the year.

No, I'm not saying there but by the grace of G-d go I. I don't believe that G-d's grace abandons the sick, poor, hungry, or oppressed. I believe G-d's grace moves us or should move us to reach out to the sick, poor, hungry and oppressed. Those who have are give the opportunity to help those who have less or nothing at all.

Anyway, I'm just saying "Message Received, G-d." But can't you just send me an e-mail next time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home