The Cult of Melinda

The gAyTM is closed! No gay rights, no gay $$$!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

10 Things About Melinda

I was tagged by Stacey, so here goes:

1. I have a REALLY bad temper. Never, ever disrespect me unless you want to see a very scary blue-eyed monster come out.

2. I have a rare heart condition that affects only 12,000 people in the United States. (1 out of 25,000) The form I have affects about 3,000. (1 out of 100,000)

3. There is no definitively known cause. A few theories, but nothing definite yet.

4. There is no cure.

5. This disease is fatal.

6. I will die from one of the following: heart failure, fatal arrythmia, massive heart attack, or sudden cardiac death.

7. I escaped from the emergency room Monday night after getting really damned tired of being treated like SHIT. Never, ever go to Inova-Alexandria Hospital.

8. I cancelled my follow-up cardiology appointment.

9. I've decided to take the meds as always, but otherwise just let whatever happens happen.

10. I'm done.

I tag:
Reasonably Prudent Poet
Duckus Aurelius
Dreamwalker
Becca

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Sweetheart, I'm so sorry you're going through this. This has got to be awful for you, I can't even imagine.

Hey, I'm gonna go get a tattoo on my chest that says "in case of car crash, send enclosed organ to Melinda."

Of course, you'd probably wind up with my boobs. Or some idiot would send my heart to Miranda.

*hugs* Love you.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

boobs? hmmmmmmm...
Thanks, sweetie. It helps that I belong to an online support group where we all experience the same things. But also frustrating to commisserate with my fellow sufferers knowing that we have very little if any power to change anything. There are simply too few of us.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Online support groups have helped me out with a lot. After my ectopic, I found a great support group that helped me through, although it was disheartening knowing that not a lot was being done to research ectopic pregnancies. We were excited when we found out that Discovery was doing a special on ectopics, but extremely dismayed that they profiled two women who had very, VERY rare cases of ectopic pregnancies in which the babies survived without killing the mother. Everyone thought, great, now some women are going to think they're in that minority and not seek treatment.

If only the billions of dollars that have been spent on the war would have been placed in more worthy hands...

9:34 AM  
Blogger reasonably prudent poet said...

dude, that was, like, one thing about melinda and nine things about the heart condition. i feel cheated. not that i don't feel concerned and supportive, but a meme's a meme, for cryin' out loud. you owe us at least eight more things. and i'll work on mine while i'm at it. thanks for the tag, you know how i feel about getting tagged. :-)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

By the way, the #1 had to do with the way I was treated at the hospital. BUT I got kind of carried away.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home